Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ciabatta again!

After my first ciabatta, I decided to make my second ciabatta 1 week after my first attempt.
As I'm still not familiar in handling high hydration dough, I decided to find a ciabatta recipe with about 67-70% water.

Biga after water and flour were added together. The biga is made from plain flour this time instead of bread flour so that the ciabatta will have a softer texture. The water content for this biga is also lesser as compared to the last one and hence, the mixture can be formed into a dough. The biga is left to sit outside covered for 12-15 hours to ferment.

The main dough consists of bread flour, more water, salt and olive oil. This recipe has olive oil added, further softening the bread as the oil helps to lubricate the gluten layers.

From top left: Adding of the rest of the ingredients to the fermented biga; mixing the dough; gluten forming in the dough (tested using the "Window Pane" test); dough ready for 1st proofing.

After the 1st proofing, as per the first attempt, it is time to fold the dough. I used a trusty stainless steel scraper to help to do the folding.

Dough and my trusty scraper before folding.

Dough after the first fold and left to proof. You can see the big pocket of bubbles at the edge of the dough.

I divided the dough into 2 after the first fold and continued to fold the 2 separate doughs twice. The top dough was handled too roughly and OOPS! It deflated...-_-'' Just compare the difference in size between the 2 doughs.

After the 2nd and 3rd folds, the doughs are left to proof for about 45min - 1 hour. They are then sprayed with water (for a thicker and crispier crust) and baked in a 200°C oven for about 30-40 min.

Both loafs nice and brown after baking.

How the crumb looks like. The crumb structure, although there aren't any big big holes, has improved. Compared to my first attempt, the bread this time is much more soft and chewy and it tastes better. My mum loved this bread!

For future attempts, I will use about 80% water for my ciabatta. Can't wait! ^__^

No comments: